New Site is located in the north central part of Tallapoosa County. The community of New Site was established in 1849 when families wanted to locate to a more quiet area from the hustle and bustle of a gold mining town located just north of our existing town. Families loaded their wagons and traveled, looking for a “new site” to call home. When they arrived at the quite, wooded and peaceful area, the name of New Site stuck and our community’s name remains the same to this day.
Our community was incorporated in 1965 so our residents could establish a public water system. With the help of many dedicated citizens our first mayor and council members were elected in August 1965.
Today we continue the tradition of being a close community and value our small town values. The Town of New Site operates under the leadership of a Mayor and five Council Members (elected at-large). The Town of New Site has an active Town Hall with a Community Room.
The Community Room is available for rent to area residents for family reunions, birthday parties, and meetings. The “Glenn Fuller Pavilion” is located behind our Town Hall for rent for outdoor activities. Our Senior Citizens Center is located across the street from the Town Hall. It houses rooms for Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. One-half of the building is dedicated to the Senior Citizens of our area. They meet at this location twice a month for music, fun, and fellowship. Another addition to our community is the Town of New Site Recreational Park which has three fenced and lighted baseball/softball fields for Little League games. We are also home to Horseshoe Bend School (K~12) which is a part of the Tallapoosa County School System.
The Horseshoe Bend National Military Park is located only five miles from New Site. This is the location of the 1814 battle between General Andrew Jackson and the Upper Creek Indians. It has picnic areas, a visitor’s center, walking trails and a driving tour through the park. It is a beautiful place to visit.